Clothing for a safari in Tanzania
If you’re planning a trip to Africa and a safari in Tanzania, you should know that you need to pack the right clothes before leaving.
How to dress for a safari in Tanzania? In this article we’ll reveal everything that you should know about the perfect clothes to pack for this experience
How to dress for a Safari in Tanzania: the recommended clothing
One of the most exciting experiences to plan while organizing a trip to Tanzania is the Safari. Being able to explore nature up close, guided by experts, will give you the opportunity to discover the most authentic secrets of this land that enchants every traveler.
The type of Safari clothing is not designed to take memorable photos, but to ensure comfort, security and practicality during an unforgettable experience.
Among the items that you must pack we find:
- Lightweight trekking pants: suitable to all seasons, they must keep you cool and ensure you comfort in your movements. Try to go for those in fabrics that dry quickly, so you can manage them better. A plus? The convertible models with zip, which can change from long to short.
- Comfortable shorts: if you’re going to visit Tanzania in the hottest periods, the best thing to do is to bring some comfortable shorts that can be worn during the safari.
- T-shirts and long-sleeved shirts: try to go for technical fabrics, suitable for protecting you from the sun, but also able to protect you from sweating excessively. Going for a specific type of safari clothing with fabrics that are able to keep the body temperature stable is certainly a good idea.
- Windbreaker: even in safaris there’s the rule of dressing like an onion. That is why among the items to pack there should be a windbreaker to protect you from the air and make sure you don’t feel the drops in temperature.
- Trekking shoes: pay attention to the shoes, we recommend the usage of trekking shoes, but do not bring them as the only pair of shoes, since, if never worn, they could cause pain and blisters. Pack a pair of comfortable, closed and well-structured sneakers.
- Swimsuit: maybe it may seem strange, but a lot of lodges have a swimming pool and this can allow for a different type of break. It does not take up a lot of space.
Rules for dressing during a Safari
There are very few rules for dressing during a Safari: it is recommended to wear comfortable and covering clothes, preferring light and neutral colors such as brown, sand, beige or gray. For what concerns the clothing, it is suggested to choose lightwear but covering fabrics and great attention is paid to shoes.
As for accessories, a hat and sunglasses are a must. We recommend bringing a small beauty case with sunscreen with protection filters and a repellent that can protect you from insect bite.
To choose the correct outfit, you need to consider the period: a safari in august has maximum temperatures of 27° and low humidity. This means your adventure won’t be excessively hot. While in september the temperatures, especially in the northern parks, are known for going from 15 to 27°
When you get dressed for a safari, you need to keep in mind the type of excursion that you’re facing. Normally, you stay out the entire day, from sunrise to sunset, this leads you to different temperatures during the day and it is important to have everything you need with you in order to being able to protect yourself from wind blows or the sun.
In addition to advice on what to bring, we want to give you some advice on what to avoid: not only dark colors are banned, but also white. These colors seem to be preferred by mosquitoes and tsetse flies. Do not think that short sleeves t-shirts or tank tops are the best option, long sleeves are not unbearable and can help you to protect you from insect bites.